Welcome to Alice's Sharing

Welcome to Alice's Sharing

Search This Blog

Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Keeping Divine Appointments

Keeping Divine Appointments

October 21, 2011

By Ken Horn

I stood on a Pacific Ocean pier, fishing rod in hand, watching the waves lap
gently at the pylons. Gulls were catching wind currents as terns nose-dived
into the surf for small fish.

I was in my own world. I had intentionally chosen a portion of the pier
devoid of other anglers. I wanted time alone.

And then I saw him coming. How could you miss the red-checked sports jacket
and patent leather shoes?

"I hope he keeps walking," I thought.

And then I had another thought, one that wasn't mine: "Witness to him."

I selfishly resisted, and the walking fashion disaster moved on.

Alone again, I thought.

Several minutes later, as I leaned on the railing, I caught a glimpse of red
out of the corner of my eye. I turned, and there he stood, patent leather
shoes glistening in the sunlight.

"Having any luck?" he asked.

"Not much," I replied, my mind racing through conviction, repentance and
prayer for direction. When I was selfishly disobedient, God didn't let me
off the hook. I knew this was a divine appointment. When I obeyed, I found a
broken man who desperately needed someone to tell him there was hope.

And so I did. Before he left we exchanged addresses, and I put my hand on
his shoulder and prayed with him.

He was wiping away tears as he walked away, then turned back and said,
"Thank you."

I learned several lessons that day three decades ago:

? The most important fishing is fishing for people.

? Our problems never outweigh the needs of the spiritually lost.

? The Holy Spirit directs believers. We must obey.

? Our spirits must always be ready to respond.

The most effective way I know to witness is this: Know the plan of
salvation; be Spirit-filled, prayed up and ready to witness; look for open
doors.

Do this, and the Holy Spirit will bring divine appointments your way.

< Ken Horn is editor of the Pentecostal Evangel and blogs at Snapshots
(khorn.agblogger.org).

------------------------------------------------------------
Vision for a City: Ministry-minded twin brothers Dean and David Curry help
the troubled in Tacoma. Get the whole story in the October 23 Pentecostal
Evangel.

Be sure to read this week�s PE staff blogs at pe.agblogger.org.
------------------------------------------------------------


Have a comment about this devotional?
E-mail your comments to pe@ag.org. Some comments may be printed on the
letters page of the Pentecostal Evangel. (Be sure to identify the devotional
you are commenting on.)

The Evangel is only a click away.
Check out the magazine's latest issue, audio files and blog entries at
http://www.pe.ag.org.

Copyright � 2011 Gospel Publishing House